Monday, September 9, 2013

When preparations eat your best laid plans

Alrighty, so I set some lofty goals for this blog last week, not least of which was a 1st World Problems post (still in the works) and a Secret Room Reveal (also still in the works – got the wrong size screws, $@%&, and I can’t just pop into Lowes for the right ones).  And none of them were accomplished.  But, ladies and gentlemen, here’s why:

 

Yep, we got our firewood delivery.  I know, it might not look like much, but what you’re looking at is 2 cords of firewood that was dumped into our driveway (stacking costs extra) for the Officer and I to stack in preparation for winter. 

Yes, in preparation for winter.   Just like the squirrels that are harvesting pine seeds by dropping them onto the tin roof outside my bedroom window at random intervals, so that each one gives me a heart attack, and the inch-long mountain ants that have upped their scurrying from busy to frantic in the past week.  We’re all getting ready.  There’s a sense of increasing urgency.  Or maybe that’s just me, willing the aspens to turn and the snow to fly.  Because I love winter most of all.    

Returning to the firewood, my hope was that I could share with you another photo of it all stacked neatly by the house, ready to keep us warm and cozy once the temperatures drop.  But in all honesty, it’s only half done.  And that half took the Officer and I two days (about 3 hours each day) to move.  Because we have to haul it down a flight of stairs from the driveway to our front door, and then down the hill another 25 feet to the wood storage spot.  And I do mean hill.  And once we've added that load to the stack, we get to hoof it back up the hill to the stairs to the drive for the next load.  So, yeah, I’ll share the finished photo as soon as we get there. 

But as I mentioned before, this is NOT a complaint.  I'm just sharing with you a bit of our new life in the mountains.  And I've decided that this is my new workout.  So, to all you Bikini-Body-Mommies and Cross-fitters and Triathloners and Biathloners out there, I salute each one of you.  Keep doing what you’re doing!  Me, I’m just gonna plod around my ½ mile loop at 8,800 feet to try to wear the puppy out so I can haul some more loads of firewood down the hill for a few hours while he sleeps. 

And then wonder why I’m craving carbs like a pre-hibernatory bear. 

Until the wood's all stacked,
~Jen

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment