Saturday, September 28, 2013

Guys, I think my Bad just Broke...

            [Season 6 spoiler]

It started with a desire to see if we could recognize the character of Albuquerque in this phenomenon.  The Officer and I watched together, cheering for the spots we knew collectively and sharing stories about the places we’d gone individually.  It also helped that a long time ago we were students of film together, and this particular series is rich with visual metaphors and unique camera angles.  We plowed through the Netflix offering in time to experience the final season, albeit a few days late since we don’t do cable.  [Thanks, Amazon!]  
Reader, if you don’t know what’s happening this Sunday night [an answer involving overgrown boys in tights, means you should probably stop reading now], this post won’t make any sense to you.  But if you hail from the 5-oh-5, love the smell of hatch roasting in the cool autumn mornings, know the lyrics preceding “woof, woof, woof,” and despise balloon traffic, then you already know what’s coming.  And you’re experiencing the disorienting, pendulous rollercoaster of manic expectation tempered with a desperate hesitancy for it all to come to an end.  At least, that’s how I’m feeling right now.  Pins and needles, people.  Pins and needles. 

 So what’s a New Mexican girl to do?  Well, if you add to this week the Officer’s birthday, it means that you celebrate like Hank’s still alive. 
Thus, I present to you:              Breaking Bad, the birthday edition
 
The essential ingredient to any Breaking party would be the Heisenberg Blue.  Thus, we’ll start with the cook.  I’m more Pinkman than White, so I followed the recipe for “Blue Crystal Meth Rock Candy” over at Sugar Hero.  But as every breaker knows, things of this nature can never go smoothly – Why can’t they just go smoothly? – and I messed up.  Granted, I was aware of my very limited chemistry skills and anticipated multiple batches for my learning curve.  However, much to my delight, my first cook turned out perfect. 

 
Well, my blue’s more Tiffany than Heisenberg in the big batch, but I was as excited as Marie in Butterfields with the results. 

 
Don’t you guys just love it?  Should I be this excited about rock candy?  Especially when that candy represents…

 Anyway, Sugar Hero calls for clear flavoring, but the Officer’s not big into peppermint, so I ended up using my standard brown vanilla. 
 
I was afraid when I added it that it would ruin the batch, but in a happy accident, I grabbed my liquid food coloring (instead of the gel the recipe demanded).  When I squeezed, rather than 1 drop of gel, I ended up with a flood of blue in the pot.  Oops.  But my theory is that the excess blue countered the brown, and I ended up with this beauty.  

 
Now, because this was a birthday celebration, we needed a banner.  What a fun way to incorporate the iconic Breaking Bad logo!  I printed off the requisite letters from Shanty 2 Chic and handmade the periodic table segments.  

 
 Here’s a close up of the familiar style.  Green construction paper torn into squares and lettered with white crayon, using online periodic chart as a guide – yeah, nothing like using your kids’ crafting supplies for project in this genre.  Gold-star parenting, here, folks.  At least they were asleep when I was crafting. 

The "O" is for Officer.
The eldest mini helped me hang it, during which she commented, “The square ones are from that element chart, huh, Mom?”  She’s a smarty.  After deciding my original plan of hanging the letters by fishing line wouldn’t work – none of the letters would face the same way, thus destroying the effect – she queried, “is this show about a scientist?”   Um, sure, love.  Sure.  Luckily we were too pressed for time for her to pursue her line of questioning.  That’s the benefit of doing things at the last minute.  Score one for procrastinators.
Again, this was a birthday, so we greeted the Officer with this table spread…


…and eggs with bacon.


I found those little valentines online via social media, and I want to give credit, so if you know, please let me know in the comments!  I scattered them around for fun.
Because it’s our tradition to imbibe a frosty brew while watching, I found these labels at Host the Toast and turned the one of the Officer’s favorite brews, the Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery, into Schraderbrau to honor our favorite among the fallen. 

We lunched on Tuco’s burritos at our local coffee shop.


And for dinner we had Gustavo’s tacos and guac.  I used El Monterry mix to season the tacos, but ran out of time for the Ricin Bean Dip by Morgan at Host the Toast.  I plan to make it when we watch the finale.  Of course, we followed all this yumminess with  mini Heisenberg cupcakes; which are generic mini cupcakes frosted and then sprinkled with rock candy.
Finally, the Officer’s presents, among other things, were seasons 1-5.  As wrapping paper, I used paper bags (Target was all out of white; sorry, purists.  If you don’t know why I couldn’t run to another store, see this post on coffee-less-ness) to which I added the Pollos Hermanos logo found over at Dave’s Geek Ideas.  So now we can break bad anytime we need a fix.


 
But, I’m begging you, fellow breaker, DON’T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE FINAL EPISODE UNTIL AT LEAST WEDNESDAY!  The Officer works Sunday nights, and like Jesse and Walt, we only break together.   

 
Happy breaking, friends.  I have a feeling we’ll all need a little rock candy to get through next week.
 
 
Update:
 
We had the opportunity recently to head to the 5-oh-5 and take a self-guided Breaking tour (thanks, internet!) so we didn't have to suffer through the stops that have since been remodeled or obligatory merchandise-driven (Rebel Donut, anyone?).  We found out that 308 Negra Arroyo Lane is only 3 blocks from my in-law's house (my MIL rides her bike past it everyday--who knew?!) -- WHAT?!  Anyway, here are the two stops we took photos at.  But know that ABQ has many, many hidden delights for those who chose to mine for them. 
 
The Crossroads Motel -- Jesse's not there; we checked.
 
 
 
308 Negra Arroyo Lane (not real address)
Yes, I'm wearing purple for Marie.
We were 1 car of 4 full of fans, in the space of 5 minutes.
 
Walt and Jesse --everyone -- we miss ya.  Thanks for the ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment