Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mountain Hippie: Oil Pulling

As some of you may know, I’ve tried to the Paleo diet in the past.  And for Lent (not just, but the timing is apropos), I’m going back on it.  I doubt I’ll go all the way off again because getting back on the wagon is too dang hard.  And I feel really yucky when I’m this far gone.  Anyway, I have decided to bump up my start by looking into a detox.  I do not want anything harsh or chemical induced.  Really, I’m just looking for a gentle way to reset my body and help it begin the healing process.  So, here’s what I’m trying today. 

I’ve read a bit about oil pulling recently – it just keeps coming up – and happen to have a substantial amount of coconut oil on hand, thanks to the reintegration of Paleo.  Also, I’ve been looking at introducing natural detoxifiers to help undo the damage I’ve been inflicting on my body for years.  And today, I read an article saying that oil pulling relieves psoriasis.  Hello!  I’ve been looking at natural help for this very issue for a while now, to the extent, that I’m *this close* to joining the No-Poo movement.  In reality, that was the cincher; I’m just not ready to give up my shampoo yet. 

                What is oil pulling, you may ask (as I did just a few short weeks ago)? 

Well, it’s some “ancient” technique to detox your body by swishing unrefined, organic coconut oil around your mouth for 20 minutes (no swallowing) and then spitting out the toxins.  (You can go here, here, or here to read a more technical and articulate articles on this practice.) 

Again, I was lured in by three things: I have a ton of coconut oil on hand.  Right now.  I am currently seeking natural detoxifiers and psoriasis relief.  And I can do this while typing on my computer.  While the above article delineate the benefits of extended use, I didn’t find any that told me what to really expect my first go ‘round.  And so, because I have very limited personal boundaries (ah, internet the pseudo-anonymity you offer is so helpful), here’s my first experience with oil pulling. 



I used 1 teaspoon of unrefined, organic coconut oil.  It seemed a reasonable amount to start with, since most articles call for between 1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon.  I scooped the oil out, since it’s in a solid form, because we’re at 8,800 feet with 6 inches of fresh powder, and looked at it for a few seconds.  Since it would begin as a solid, I couldn’t decide: was I supposed to just suck on it ‘till it melted?  Or chew it like gum?  Upon the realization that there’s no time like the present to solve that dilemma, I popped the little ball into my mouth – it took a moment to wedge the solid oil out of the teaspoon – and set the timer.  Then I nestled into my favorite chair and decided to live-blog my experience.  Here ya go: 

First impressions:
  • 20 minutes is a long time
  • Wow, that’s a lot of coconut oil.
  • The texture is like chewing a lotion bar
  • How do I not swallow for 20 minutes?!

After the first few minutes:
  • 20 minutes IS a long time.
  • The coconut oil melts more slowly than I expected.
  • The texture issue is gone because the oil has melted.
  • How DO I not swallow for – oh, crap.  I swallowed a little bit.  Am I going to die?! 

Last impressions (After 20 minutes):
  • 20 minutes is a really freaking long time – I had more than enough time to write this article, take the photo, run it through Instagram, scroll Facebook, look up some more articles, use interpretive dance in an attempt to communicate to the Officer what I was doing and why I couldn’t talk to him or answer the phone, find the requisite baggie into which I would dispel the used oil, and reheat my coffee because 20 minutes is a loooong time.    
  • I have no idea how people do more than 1 teaspoon at a time.  Good for them.  My mouth was full-to-the-brim the entire time.
  • My mouth definitely tastes coconutty.
  • ALWAYS spit used oil into trash or plastic bag when done – it will clog your pipes if you spit it directly into the sink.  I am so glad that one article mentioned this in the instructions.  I totally would have used the sink. 
  • I think I swallowed a lot more than I realized.  Oops.

Will I try this again?  Yes, because I want to see what results I will have with consistency.  But I may have to supplement with jowl exercises, because I feel like swishing for 20 minutes every day might not benefit my age-induced decreasing skin elasticity.  Basically, I don’t know if saggy jowls are an adequate trade-off for a reduction of psoriasis on my scalp.  (Because, you know, there’s always the No-Poo movement.)

How about you, reader, any hippie-ish experience you’ve tried recently (or thought about trying)? 

No comments:

Post a Comment