Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Manic Mondays: the Downton Abbey version

When Your Soap Opera Character Dies

– with a Brittish accent
**SPOILER ALERT!**

I could pretend that I am a day late in my Manic Monday post because I have been unable to process the passing of my second favorite British soap opera character. That I have been weeping unendingly on my fainting couch, too weak to ring for meals, too despondent to allow visitors, to angry to speak with my husband. But that would only be partly true. Mostly, I have a ton of school work again this week {and it would be utter foolishness to be angry with the Officer -- he's been scrubbing all the dishes I've been too busy to get to}. So,I allowed myself 30 minutes to bang out this post as a reward, before carrying on with it all. But I supposed, after a death as shocking and important as this, it is best to keep busy.
I used to mock people who kept up with soap operas.  How pedestrian.  How gauche. How terribly middle class, darling.   

I apologize to everyone I’ve mentally berated over the years for watching such asinine drivel. Because, I’ll admit that I’ve been completely hooked on Downton Abbey for two and a half years now. I think it’s the accents.  And the costumes. And the abject lack of raunchy, debauched language or behavior, even when foreign diplomats are involved. Plus, just look at Highclere Castle.  And the grounds. And the accents. And the cars and tuxes and starched, white wimples.  And the stately, English-ness of it all.  Ah, BBC, you win again {Sherlock, or Call the Midwife, anyone?}.

Thus, I was greatly anticipating Sunday night’s finale. So much so that my dearest friend came to enjoy it with me; and we had our own, intimate Downton dinner. Amy was in charge of costumes. I have to say, she’s a genius!  Don’t we look 19th century? 


Her genius really shines in all the little details.  She brought these gloves and earrings:

 
And added the brooch that matches the earrings, to just define the drop waist of my gown. In this close-up, you can see the velveteen fabric of the gown; which is similar to a coat worn in the finale by the Dowager Countess. 

 
I was in charge of the refreshments, partly because I'm as polished as a kitchen maid {Amy's more of a lady's maid -- if you force her regal personality into the service category} but mostly because I’m all Paleo now {for Lent – you can read more about that here}; thus our snacks weren’t exactly English – can you imagine Mrs. Patmore’s face?  But with an un-pictured tray of crudité, some mixed nuts, and mini paleo fudge bites*, we were quite full before the unfortunate ending. 

 
Finally, since wine or other cocktails were out of the question, we made No-Cal** refreshers and put them in fancy stemware.  Because everything tastes better out of the good glasses; just ask Carson. 

No-Cal Refresher:

·         Fill glass of choice with sparkling mineral water

·         Halve lemon {I used Mertons because they taste sweeter} and squeeze as much juice as you can into the water.

·         Halve 2 Key Limes, squeezing juice from all 4 sections into water

·         Add ice and stir.

If one were feeling particularly cavalier, taking after Sir Richard Carlise preference for cocktails before dinner, one could add a shot of silver tequila to the Refresher for a No-Cal Margarita.  Silver tequila is made with agave, thus it’s still considered a Paleo drink.  But be aware, this ain’t the sticky-sweet cantina drink you’re accustomed to.  It will take some getting used to; but once you’ve made the adjustment, I doubt you’ll go back.    

Well, darlings, I have to get back to my studies.  And we all have to try to cope with not only a 9 month wait for Season 4, but also TWO deaths in the family!  I hope you can find a way to muddle through somehow. 

 

 *for Mini paleo fudge bites, follow my paleo fudge recipe here.  But instead of making 10 large fudge rounds, pour the mixture into a lined, mini cupcake tray.  If you fill the cup ½ to ¾ full, you’ll end up with 24 bites for the same amount of mixture as 10 full-size rounds.

**No-Cal stands for Northern California.  And I yet again have my Brother- and Sister-in-law to thank for this awesome recipe.   

6 comments:

  1. As only an inappropriate friend will comment... I can almost imagine our second pose being a finger offered to Dan Stevens for walking out on Downton Abby. Suffrages to come, and Call the Midwife season 2 is back at the end of March... I suppose we'll live, darling. Had I known I would have brought the lace handkerchiefs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snicker* I like your interpretation of our last photo. Brilliant.

      Delete
  2. This was quite possibly the worst episode made. What a sad ending. Ready to see how they try to recover from all the broken heart-ed fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worse.season.finale.every. Except, maybe Sherlock. Darn that BBC -- they know how to keep us Americans hanging on!

      Delete
  3. I think you both look darling. But after that ending, I ate carbs till I puked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom. I was inspired by your gown for the season premier.

      Delete