Sunday, July 28, 2013

Momi-festo continued:

The Mommy-cation
{Part II}

To remember (or read for the first time) the definition, how it started, and what other Moms secretly confessed about it, click here. 

The Reason:

Yes, when my kids are gone, I miss them.  Yes, when the Officer is gone, I miss him.  Yes, when they’re both gone at the same time, it can get lonely.  But do you know who I don’t miss during those days? 
                Me.
And let me be completely honest, when I get bogged down in the day-to-day, there are times when my family’s home, and I’m surrounded by love and noise and movement and life, but I miss me.  I miss being able to sit down and read a book, cover-to-cover.  I miss being able to spend an entire day wandering around the Denver Art Museum, taking as long as I absolutely want on each piece I choose; to decide to window shop at IKEA for hours and just do it.  I miss watching all the Rom-Com’s and Sci-fi shows I want, without trading that time for war movies later.  I miss keeping my own schedule – seeing the sun come up before I go to bed, and know that I can sleep until I’m rested, without recourse.  I miss spending as long-as-I-want in prayer, journaling, or deep in Scripture, knowing that I don’t have to rush my time to feed or pick up or tend other lives.  I miss having to put only one dish into the washer, to clean the house and have it stay that way for days on end, to make what I want to eat – and have no one complain about it, to skip dinner and not feel guilty for not feeding mini people.    

This is not to say that the Officer doesn’t support me and give me time to myself – he does.  This is not to say that my entire life revolves around my kids – it doesn’t.  It is a recognition that before I was a mom, before I was a wife, I was – and still am to an ever-evolving extent – Jen.  A person, not a label, who has an individual and unique life outside of the people who sprang from my womb or with whom I have become one flesh.   
When everyone’s gone, and the house is blessedly silent , I get to remember who I am – without all these extra people as addendums to my person.  And I remember that I like me.     

And that, dearest reader, makes me a much better Mom, a much better wife, than toiling away endless at the same day-to-day ever could. 
So in truth, the reason every Mom needs a Mommy-cation is because God gave her to her children.  For in His infinite wisdom and goodness, God knows that she is the best Mom for those kids.*  And what makes each woman uniquely suited for this honored position is who she is.   If she loses sight of that, of her uniqueness, then it is her children and her husband who suffer alongside her.   

The Rules:

1.        It has to be longer than 48 hours.  No joke.  Barring an emergency that threatens life or limb, don’t go get your kids for over 2 days.  Trust me, they’ll live. 

2.        No husband allowed.  Seriously.  Get that guy out of the house.  Send him camping/hunting/skiing/fishing/on a company conference/to a spa, etc…If he can’t, then you go.  Hotels are cheaper than you think; much cheaper than a sanatorium anyway. 

3.        You decide what you’re going to do, then put boundaries around your time.  There are people who can’t fathom spending any time alone, so will try to fill yours; or they’ll see your time off as an excuse to off-load their kids/project/neediness on you.  I know that sounds selfish, but if you’re asking other folks to watch your kids and kicking your husband out of the house/going to a hotel, you’re doing a disservice to those helping you if you squander your alone time.  

How to make this Self-Reclamation a reality:

1.        Grandparents.  If they’re game, and it’s financially possible, send the kids to the Grandfolks’ house for a week.  It will do everybody good – kids get to know your parents/in-laws as they grow up, and you get to know you again.

2.        Swap with a friend.  So it might not be a whole week.  But it could work for a whole weekend.  Trade kids.  Give each other 2 ½ solid days off.  You’ll both reap the benefits.

3.       Hire a trusted sitter.  Really.  Obviously, this needs to be an adult.  If this is your only option (are you sure you’re not just afraid to ask the first 2?), to make it affordable, barter.  Can you do this person’s laundry for the week leading up to your vacay?  Can you cook their meals, train their dog, type out their dissertation (not write it for them), organize their home, paint their walls, take their family portraits, write them a song, tune their car, bake their wedding cake, teach them to swim/ski/drive a stick…?  Can you leverage any of your talents [come on, you haven’t been a Mom forever, you have talents] to earn their time, or at least a portion of it that would make the rest affordable?  Because believe me, no matter what extra work you do for them will pay off while you’re enjoying the silence of doing exactly what you want to do.

4.       Have your husband (if you have one) take the kids somewhere for that time.  When my kids were much littler, my husband asked what I wanted for our anniversary.  My honest answer was: time to myself in our house.  Up to that point, I’d never had that.  Oh, the kids and I travelled all the time to see family while the Officer stayed behind to work.  But I’d never been alone, not even for 24 hours, in our house.  As it happened, he had a conference in the city where his folks live; so he bundled our little bundles into his car and trucked them down to his Mom’s house.  He worked all week, and the kids were watched by one of three women who absolutely adore them.  And their Daddy was home with them every night.
 
That's right, TWO new books, and groceries only I like.  Haha!

20 Ways I’ve Spent My Mommy-cations

1.        When the final Harry Potter book came out, the Officer bought me a copy and gave it to me on the first day of Mommy-cation.  I read it in one day.  Then I read it again in the next two days – you know, to make sure I hadn’t missed anything in my hurry to get to the end.  I got off the couch to use the restroom and eat.  It was glorious.

2.        Spent an entire day pursuing the DAM {Denver Art Museum}

3.        Took myself out to lunch at a spot I know the Officer wouldn’t want to go to.

4.       Went to a movie that I know the Officer could be content never seeing.

5.        Decided (on a whim) to paint the then-playroom in tri-colored vertical stripes.  (This was an all- day & all-nighter).

6.       Watched every movie I put on our Netflix cue.

7.        Spent an entire afternoon at IKEA – looked at every room layout, browsed for hours in the marketplace, and came up with some really great ideas for a new home.

8.       Went clothes shopping all.by.myself: No chasing little people out of the dressing room while I’m only in undies and a bra.  No bargaining/pleading with minis for just a few more minutes.  No constant stream of “No.  Don’t Touch.  Come back here,” while at the mall.  Carried only my bags and my coffee and my purse.  It was lovely. 

9.       Picked a different recipe every day from my Pinetrest boards and made it.

10.     Wrote this blog.

11.      Napped.

12.     Slept in – until an obscene hour.

13.     Worked on my novel.

14.     Had a Wine & fancy cheese night with my brother.

15.     Prayerfully dealt with some baggage that needed dealing with.

16.     Bought a “uniform” for Mommy-cations: a pajama dress.  Stayed in it for a week (okay, that’s hyperbolic because I had to wash it and shower; but you get the idea).

17.     Purged the entire house, to rid this family of their hoarder tendencies

18.     Redecorated everyone’s rooms – new linens, curtains, and artwork.

19.     Had dinner or lunch with a different friend every day for a week.

20.    Started packing for our move.

Now, you have to bear in mind that I’m an introvert.  I am refreshed when I spend time alone.  {note: this doesn’t mean I’m antisocial, or that I don’t have friends.  It means that I get recharged by being alone to think.  By myself.}  However, an extrovert could spend her time doing all the social activities she never gets to do because she’s committed to her family’s schedule.  Notice your favorite author has a book signing nearby?  Well, load up the car and go – meet some other fans while you’re there and go out for coffee afterward.  You know that girls’-get-a-way you’re always talking about?  Make it happen!  You know that theater group you’ve been wanting to join?  Bust out your monologue and get to auditions!  That painting class/those concerts/that bike race/that lecture series/ that Con?  Go do them all!  Just spend the time reminding yourself what you like – what makes you unique in all the world – and invest time doing it.   For you.  For your husband.  For your kids.  For the glory of your Father in Heaven, who made you to be you.   

 

 
*I say this with the caveat that we live in a broken and sinful world.  Some Moms sins are too much, and they hurt their children.  But we have to remember that their sins are what hurts the children, not God’s choice of her as their mother.  God created each person good, with the potential for good, and each person chooses sin – to what extent and whom it hurts is up to each individual.  Thus, God’s choice of that mother for those children is good; it is the mother’s sin that makes her bad for her children.  But we can never forget that we are all sinners, and that while we were still sinners, Christ Jesus died for us, to ransom and redeem us; and if we accept His lordship over our lives and submit ourselves to Him, we can be free from our sinful past and the debt we owe God because of it.  This is the only way.      

No comments:

Post a Comment