Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Resolute What We're Reading Wednesday

Where have you been?!  {read in Mrs. Weasley’s voice}  More demand than question.

Well, Christmas.  Family.  Construction.  And, of course, resolutions.  So there’s that.

For now, because I am aching to keep said resolutions (and boy do those eat up one’s day), I’m going to give you a glimpse of the literary ones.  For accountability.  And because I feel terrible for leaving you alone for so long. 

In 2014, I’ve resolved to read all of the books BEFORE I see the movies:

The Hobbit
J.R.R. Tolkien

Yes, technically I’ve already ready this one; but I want to read it to the minis first, too.  Thankfully, Peter Jackson decided to make it easy for me by breaking it up into thirds (though as a filmie – kinda like foodies, only with cinema.  Try using it to wow your friends.  I’m angling to have it added to Websters in a few years.  I digress. – I’m pretty disappointed that he did this.  C’est la vie). 


The Book Thief
Markus Zusak

Haha!  I just finished this one.  Eh.  I’m hoping the movie’s better.  The narrative device became tiresome and as distracted as contemporary teens’ interactions.  Yeah, I know it’s YA fiction.  But still.  I’m interested to see how the director and screenwriters parlay this into the film.


Divergent
Veronica Roth

Pure, YA fluff.  The Firefly and I will be going.  What can I say?  She’s way ahead of her reading level and there’s just not much out there for her.  Plus I’ve already read this one, too.  She just finished.  In a day.  So, yeah, it’s fluff.


Mockingjay
Suzanne Collins

Again, YA fluff and the Firefly’s favorite.  I’m a terrible mother.


Lone Survivor
Marcus Luttrell, with Patrick Robinson

Probably not one I’d read on my own, but I know the Officer will want to see it and I bet he’ll even read this one before the theater.  And if he’s willing to read my manuscript, I feel like I should compensate.


 And now, for the more challenging (and non-movie related) literature, in 2014 I will read:

On the Origin of Species
Charles Darwin

I’ve decided that I’m going to follow my own advice: if you haven’t read it, you can’t comment on it.  If I hold myself to this policy, then I can hold others to it as well.  So, there.  Plus science in public school is woefully lacking. 


Paul and the Faithfulness of God
N.T. Wright
 

By now, I’m assuming you know that I’m a fan of Wright.  The Officer and I actually got to listen to him speak in Denver recently – great date night for nerds!  It’s a four volume opus that I am beyond excited to crack.  Good thing it’s what I gifted the Officer with at Christmas!  Oh, don’t poo-poo, I’m willing to let him have first shot at it. 


We’ll stop there for now.  I’m going to alternate fluff with intellectual challenges this year and broaden my non-fiction, non-school horizons. 

Because a mind is a terrible thing to waste. 

I’ll check in and let you know my thoughts on each.  On a totally unrelated topic, does anyone know how to become a critic for PluggedIn online reviews?  Because I could watch some movies and read some books and really let the world know what I think…


No comments:

Post a Comment